Saturday, February 12, 2011

Greens

I am obsessed with salad. Not just any salad, but in the past few years it has been all about spinach salad.

I don't like romaine or iceberg, give me some iron and I'm good to go.

Recently though, I have been learning about ways to make my salads unique. I have learned about some not as popular greens that I am very excited about.

Instead of rambling on and on about greens, I'll just lay them out for you, one by one:

Butter lettuce: Now I will admit, I have known about butter lettuce for some time, but not to the extent as I do now. This green is so delicious, my mouth waters just thinking about it. I have also found that it holds up much longer than other greens.

Fennel: I think that this is the green I am most excited about. Unlike most people, I LOVE black licorice (hence my love for Jager, but that's another post...) Fennel has a licorice flavor that I am very excited about. I can't wait to chop this into a salad with Butter lettuce and dig in!

Today I went to Vons. I had a long shopping list, and was very excited (I love to grocery shop, more than clothes. Sometimes I worry about myself.) I looked and looked for the Fennel. Finally I asked one of the associates and they said they carried it but couldn't find it. To make a long story short, he found it, found me and we both learned that it was also called Anise. I didn't know! Anyway, we found it, and I bought it! I'm so excited to use this veggie!!

Chard: This is described as having a spinach like flavor. I LOVE spinach, so I am excited to try this green out.

Collard Greens: We all have heard of these in Southern cooking, but I have not personally cooked with them. They are in the same family as cabbage and Kale, 2 of which I am not opposed to, but collards tend to be more rough. With watching more of the show staring the Neelys, I should check these out.

Kale: After bringing up Collard Greens, it's important to talk about Kale. Kale just has a bunch of vitamins and nutrients, so it's going to go high up on my list of greens to try. I'm excited.

Greens will be the future, and I'm happy with it!!! Bring on the greens!

No comments:

Post a Comment